[Samba] Allow user without uidNumber to access to a Samba member file server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 15 16:08:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:13:43 +0200
Arnaud Cruzel <a.cruzel at ifporient.org> wrote:

> OK, I tried that. After what there is no long problems for access to
> file server by an user without uidNumber. But now it's impossible for
> unix client to access to samba shares on this server.

You never mentioned Unix users

The 'rid' backend works by calculating the users ID from its Windows
RID, Unix users do not have a RID, so they don't get an ID.

If you have Unix users, you will have to create the users in AD,
set the Unix machines up as a domain member (info available on the Samba wiki)
and remove the users from the Unix machine (they cannot be
in /etc/passwd and AD). You could also return to using the 'ad'
backend, but you would still have to make the Unix machines domain
members.

> I think because of uid are differents. For information I didn't have
>to change shares
> owner, the server kept the same uids for users (I think because of
> caching ?)

Wait until the cache expires and wait for the screams :-)

Rowland