[Samba] Samba AD Netlogon via GPO

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Mar 8 16:34:54 UTC 2017

Hi Basti,

Am 08.03.2017 um 10:58 schrieb basti via samba:
> [netlogon]
> 	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/samdom.example.com/scripts
> 	read only = no
>
> In RSAT I have add a new GPO
>
> Userconfig -> Windows Settings -> Skripts
>
> I have try
> \\samdom.example.com\Sysvol\samdom.example.com\scripts\netlogon\login.bat
>
> \\DC1\netlogon\login.bat
>
> logon.bat

If you set a logon script for a user in the user's properties
(scriptPath attribute), then you store it on the netlogon share.

When using GPOs for login scripts, the files are stored in a
subdirectory of the GPO. For example, for a per-user logon script GPO:
\\{domain}\sysvol\{domain}\Policies\{GUID}\User\Scripts\Logon\

The script name you enter in the Group Policy Editor, is just
"login.bat" or you can simply select it after clicking the "Browse" button.

Additionally, something you should pay attention to when running Win8:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2895815/logon-scripts-do-not-run-for-five-minutes-after-a-user-logs-on-to-a-windows-8.1-based-computer
I don't know if the 5-min delay is also default on other versions.
Please let me know if you use a different version.

By the way, for mapping drives, you can also use the GPO "Drive Maps"
feature. This was some advantages, such as "use first available drive
letter", etc.

Regards,
Marc