[Samba] Error in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 7 20:30:54 UTC 2017

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 21:04:42 +0100
Marc Muehlfeld via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 07.03.2017 um 20:03 schrieb Bart Coninckx via samba:
> > To me they seem screenshots of a more recent Windows version,
>  > like Windows 2012 or 2016 server, or Windows 10 client.
>
> It's Windows 10. When I rewrite or update pages with Win7/8
> screenshots, I replace them with ones from the latest Windows client
> version. I think it makes more sense than using screenshots from
> older version.

Why ? People like win7 more than win 10, Microsoft even tried bribing
users to upgrade by giving win10 away. I can have any version of
windows I like, but I default to win7

>  > Maybe the wiki needs to be extended with pages for each
>  > OS version ...
>
> We should really not have individual pages for each OS version. We
> still have duplicated content in the Wiki and I do my best to get rid
> of it. Duplicate content is very hard to maintain and often
> inconsistent. Often it is updated only on one place. We had a lot of
> such cases in our documentation.

It is all very well getting rid of duplicate content, but as they say, a
picture says more than a thousand words, but the picture must be
relevant to the users OS.

> If steps or procedures differ in Windows versions, we should of
> course mention the differences. However, not for versions, MS no
> longer supports, such as WinXP. Mostly it's enough to add just one
> sentence to make clear what's different. That's better than having
> instructions for each OS.

The problem is, how do you describe the difference without a picture ?

Rowland