[Samba] Missing security tab samba 4.1.13

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 6 19:17:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 20:06:31 +0100
Bart Coninckx <info at bitsandtricks.com> wrote:

> >> I just realized that I omitted an important piece of information
> >> and that is that I am using a separate EXT4 volume for my shares.
> >> I just did a test and it seems that shares on the same volume as
> >> sysvol and netlogon funtion as expected but shares on the second
> >> volume have the issue.
> >>
> >> I just mounted that second volume with explicit acl and user_xattr
> >> options in fstab, but this makes no difference.
>
> >It wouldn't, amongst the defaults for EXT4 are 'acl' & 'user_xattr'
> >and it shouldn't matter if the shares are on a different partition.
> >
> >Rowland
>
> I agree. Yet it does. I just did the tests
> on https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/File_System_Support , which went
> successfull, so my EXT4 volume has the necessary attributes
> activated. For Samba there must exist a difference in between my root
> volume and my data volume.

No, it shouldn't matter, here is the proof that it works:

smbclient -L dc1
Enter rowland's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SAMDOM] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.5.3]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	netlogon        Disk
	sysvol          Disk
	data            Disk
	home            Disk
	data2           Disk
	images          Disk
	profiles        Disk
	dropbox         Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.5.3)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[SAMDOM] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.5.3]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------

Lets connect to 'data2'

rowland at devstation:~$ smbclient \\\\dc1\\data2
Enter rowland's password:
Domain=[SAMDOM] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.5.3]
smb: \>

and here is the share in smb.conf:

[data2]
	path = /mnt/2HD/thinkpad/rowland
	read only = no

And here is the kicker, it isn't just on a different partition, it is
on a different Disk!

Rowland