[Samba] Samba High CPU usage

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Mar 6 14:00:04 UTC 2017

Quoting Patrik Laszlo via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>:
> Just a simple question. Do you know how to make it use lower CPU
> usage. How can I configure Samba Domain Controller to use less CPU?
> My server is using for every HTTPS AUTH PAM.D LDAP / SSH / WIndows
> Network / Windows Login, but it is a simple login. How can it is so
> slow? How can I make it faster? Or use it like SQL server backend or
> something?
> Sometimes, when I copy like 1000 files form one file to another
> server it goes beyond 50%.
>
> Looks a bit high for me.
>
> Any options?

What is your debugging/logging level?  I have seen high debugging
levels drive high CPU usage.

How many users?

What is your underlying storage?  Wait times?  I/O latency?

Is the the samba process specifically driving the high CPU utilization?

Are you doing lots of authentication requests via pam_krb5? (that can
be the slowest form of authentication).