[Samba] Samba as BDC: unable to write on shared folders

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Mar 3 15:04:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 15:18:12 +0100
Roberto Spedale - Studio Progetto Ambiente via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > Hi Spedale, Can I suggest you speed up, overtake that slow, liable
> > to breakdown NT4 domain and use a Samba AD domain ?
> >
> > I think you will find it easier than trying to get the NT4-style
> > domain working, plus you get the opportunity to manage it from
> > windows via ADUC, or from Linux via samba-tool.
> >

> Thank you Rowland! Surely I will follow your advice in the coming
> months when we acquire the new office server.
> For now I was hoping to solve the problem and to secure the network.
> do you see something wrong in smb.conf?
> Or is there any test I can do to see if the problem is the samba
> configuration or the permissions on the server?

OK, I cannot advise setting up a new NT4 domain, but if you must, you
must, I just think you will come to regret it ;-)

It has been quite some time since I last set up a PDC in production,
but, from memory, I would remove the 'security = user' line. I also
seem to remember that when the PDC goes down, you need to promote the
BDC to a PDC by changing the 'domain master' line.

Rowland