[Samba] Samba/Kerberos setup - how to enable alternative UPN

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 30 08:49:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 10:09:16 +0200
"Mgr. Peter Tuharsky via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have W2k8 AD and I need to join Samba fileserver.
>
> Since I'm new to the topic, I'm following a howto, and it says I must
> first make Kerberos authenticate users and only then start configuring
> Samba. But I cannot get over the Kerberos setup.

Care to share the link to this howto ?

You do not need to set up kerberos in any meaningful way

You could do worse (and you already have) than to read the Samba
documentation on how to do what you are trying to do:

> The domain is named like ad.domain.com but there is alternative UPN
> Suffix so that users are represented by UPN such as user at domain.com

Don't really understand this, you have to use the dns domain name for
the realm and I don't think you can do what you are suggesting

Rowland