[Samba] parameter vs. option

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 29 08:50:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 10:25:51 +0900 (JST)
Michio Matsuyama via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to ask you a question about terminology.
>
> What is the difference between "parameter" and "option",
> especially in the context of configuing something by
> using a form like "<key>=<value>".  I don't understand
> the difference strictly.
>
> The Samba document says the both words everywhere, and
> sometimes uses both in a same paragraph.
>
> I should suppose that "option" means "<key>" or
>
> Any comments or answer?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> matsuand

Welcome to the wonderful world of the English language ;-)
Not only do we have words that are spelt they same, but mean different
things depending on context and the way you pronounce them, we also
have different words that can mean the same, again depending on
context.

Here, 'parameter' can mean the same as 'option', but then 'option'
could be the value used with a 'parameter', confusing isn't it ;-)

What I can say is that 'parameter' would never be a value.

Hope this helps

Rowland