[Samba] Rename domain during classicupgrade step?

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Jun 28 13:56:57 UTC 2017

On 12/05/17 09:10, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Am 11.05.2017 um 19:39 schrieb Sebastian Arcus via samba:
>> I can see in the docs that a domain rename is not
>> recommended/supported by Samba for an already provisioned domain.
>> However, what I can't work out is if this is not possible during the
>> classicupgrade step either?
>

> Theoretically it should be possible to change the NetBIOS domain name
> during the migration. In the background, Samba/Windows uses SIDs and not
> names.
>
> Try the following in a test environment:
> * Set the new NetBIOS domain name in smb.conf ("workgroup" parameter).
> * Run the migration
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)
>

> Verify that the domain members in your test environment, that were part
> of the domain before you run the migration, still work correctly
> afterwards.
>
> Please let us know if this worked.

Another update to this. The machines which I've rejoined after the
classicupgrade step, by going into Advanced System Settings and just
typing the new domain name - which gets accepted without an admin prompt
- are not working as they should. What seems to have happened is on
them, the mapping between the domain admin group and the local admin
group doesn't work. So although I am signed in as a domain admin, I get
elevation prompts, and my credentials as domain admin are quietly
refused. Either the prompt simply goes away, but the requested action
doesn't happen, or I get a "This action requires elevation" dialog.
After I fully unjoin and rejoin the machine to the domain - everything
works fine. So in conclusion, changing the domain name during the
classicupgrade step, although possible. pretty much requires unjoining
and rejoining every machine to the domain.