[Samba] Samba AD Printer Failover

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jun 27 19:39:30 UTC 2017

Hai James,

On this page:
https://www.unix-ninja.com/p/CUPS_Printing_Setup_Mini-HOWTO
At 3.2 HA is described there, but this not totaly what you want i think.

But is you want something to think about. I recently read:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-set-up-nginx-high-availability-with-pacemaker-corosync-and-crmsh-on-ubuntu-1604/
Im thinking the technique used here is usable.

Im thinking about, the shares, the cups server, needs like drivers.
Make these available through dfs on the dc's.

Install 2 or 3 print servers, setup with but change the webserver for the samba and cups and configure them.
I dont know if you can copy past a full cups setup, would be nice but never tested that.
If its usable depends how and what data is in there. ( hostname/ipnumbers for kerberos )
But worth a try save time setting up 2 extra cups server.

Now last thing to think about, howto get all resolving A/PTR this way that so the virtual ip matches kerberos hostnames where needed.
Maybe only adding the needed spns voor samba and cups for the virtual hostname works but again, i havent tried this.

Then when this al works, look at the cups ha howto again.
Then is should be possible to turnoff any printer and any print server but one of each.

Few things to think about, maybe it brings you to a good idee or it wakes up someone else with a better idea... ;-)

Good luck!

Greetz,

Louis