[Samba] Samba freezes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jun 25 21:34:35 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 17:54 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 18:11:05 +0200
> Antoine Huchet via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have Samba 4.5.8-Debian running on Debian Stretch.
> > I use Samba to load games over my local network from my Debian machine
> > to my Playstation 2 (using OpenPS2Loader:
> > https://github.com/Jay-Jay-OPL/OPL-Daily-Builds).
> >
> > From time to time, the game freezes, then after 5 minutes it comes
> > back (sometimes it doesn't, depends on the game).
> >

> > And here is the syslog at the same time:
> >
> > > Jun 25 16:39:01 serveur CRON[23116]: (root) CMD (  [ -x
> > > /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean ] && /usr/lib/php5/sessionclean)
> > > Jun 25 16:41:05 serveur dhclient[717]: DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.2.4 on
> > > eth0 to 192.168.2.1 port 67
> > > Jun 25 16:41:05 serveur dhclient[717]: DHCPACK of 192.168.2.4 from
> > > 192.168.2.1
> > > Jun 25 16:41:05 serveur systemd[1]: Reloading Samba SMB Daemon.
> > > Jun 25 16:41:05 serveur systemd[1]: Reloaded Samba SMB Daemon.
> > > Jun 25 16:41:05 serveur dhclient[717]: bound to 192.168.2.4 --
> > > renewal in 2912 seconds.
> >
> > From what I see, there is the usual stuff on top of the logs, then it
> > start echoing someting, then reloads and then it works again...
> >
> > Any idea what might be causing that?
> >

> It looks like your Samba machine is using DHCP and when it changes
> systemd reloads Samba, this will break any connections.
>
> Try giving your machine a fixed IP instead.

G'Day Rowland,

I think you are on to the right thing about the echo and DHCP, except
they are in other order.

Antoine,

What we do know is that the linux cifs client, and other clients no
doubt, send an echo if they feel the server is un-responsive.

Is the DHCP renewal at the normal point (compare with previous
renewal), or could this be both related to an underlying issue: lack of
two-way link at the network layer?  Could Samba be listening only, but
the client not getting the responses due to dodgy networking, and then
it finally breaking down causing NetworkManager to re-try the whole
stack?

Can you rule out a dodgy network switch?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett