[Samba] replication not done with missing DC?

Jo L j.o.l at live.com
Sat Jun 24 17:35:51 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have been able to restore a backup, disabled samba initially, changed hostname, and then joined as a DC. It looks as if that was successful and some data was replicated. I had to manually update some DNS data to get it operational however. As a test whether user data (my major concern) was replicated, I disabled the old DCs and ran samba-tool user list, and the result was as expected. Similarly I can modify folder permissions on a windows system and that looks fine.

However when I try to start windows Active Directory Users and Groups management tool, I get the error "Naming  information cannot be located because: The network address is invalid. Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly configured and is currently online."

Anyone knows what network address is invalid, what to check or where to look?

I also tried to look into the replication issue, but I get the following:

root at banana3:/home/joachim# samba-tool drs replicate banana1.samba.lindenberg.one banana3.samba.lindenberg.one dc=samba,dc=lindenberg,dc=one

Replicate from banana3.samba.lindenberg.one to banana1.samba.lindenberg.one was successful.

root at banana3:/home/joachim# samba-tool drs replicate banana3.samba.lindenberg.one banana1.samba.lindenberg.one dc=samba,dc=lindenberg,dc=one

Replicate from banana1.samba.lindenberg.one to banana3.samba.lindenberg.one was successful.

root at banana3:/home/joachim# samba-tool drs replicate dc1.samba.lindenberg.one banana3.samba.lindenberg.one dc=samba,dc=lindenberg,dc=one

ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DsReplicaSync failed - drsException: DsReplicaSync failed (2, 'WERR_BADFILE')

  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line 348, in run

    drs_utils.sendDsReplicaSync(self.drsuapi, self.drsuapi_handle, source_dsa_guid, NC, req_options)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 83, in sendDsReplicaSync

    raise drsException("DsReplicaSync failed %s" % estr)

root at banana3:/home/joachim# samba-tool drs replicate dc1.samba.lindenberg.one banana1.samba.lindenberg.one dc=samba,dc=lindenberg,dc=one

ERROR: Failed to find source DC banana1.samba.lindenberg.one

root at banana3:/home/joachim#

root at banana1:/home/joachim#  samba-tool drs replicate dc1.samba.lindenberg.one banana1.samba.lindenberg.one dc=samba,dc=lindenberg,dc=one

ERROR: Failed to find source DC banana1.samba.lindenberg.one

root at banana1:/home/joachim# nslookup banana1.samba.lindenberg.one localhost

Server:         localhost

Address:        ::1#53

Name:   banana1.samba.lindenberg.one

Address: 192.168.177.7

or in summary, replication between banana1 (actually the new DC, I recycled a device) and banana3 appears to work, but it does not work with dc1.

Any suggestion what to check/change - short of demoting dc1 and rejoining?

Thanks,

Joachim