[Samba] Upgrading samba from jessie (4.2) to stretch (4.5) in AD mode...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jun 23 12:15:28 UTC 2017

Hai,

The "scripts" are not the problem, i'll explain more.

A failty configured smb.conf is the problem, or a smb.conf which contained "removed" settings.
Which exist in a lots of setups.
You need to setup you smb.conf to match 4.5.x settings "before" you upgrade, then you dont have any problems upgradeing.

If we can think of a way to this before the upgrade starts..

- match settings for a new samba version 4.5.x
- check agains smb.conf
- correct these settings
- and start upgrading.
For example, just before package install, call a "test-smb.conf" script and run test.
If it fails, skip the packages and point out what is the problem.

But i dont see a way to do that, because, imo, its hard to "correct" settings, based on what the installer, does not know.
And that is the way the user did setup, for some reason.

Now samba 4.6 has samba-tool testparm that check failty idmappings.
But in Marco's case he would have had the same problem when upgrading due to the change in security settings.

Maybe, but this is more a question for developers.
Make samba test agains current and new settings and before upgrading a packages, is should have pointed out what is changed.
Like what a user "should" do before he upgrade to any new version ( 4.2.x to 4.3. to 4.4.x etc )
And in this case of "Debian" packages.

Any version upgrade from wheezy ( 3.6.x or 4.1.17), Jessie 4.2.x , stretch 4.5.x can be effected by this.
It's all about the smb.conf settings.
This is why i have :
http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt
But i'm missing the security = setting ( probely because it's removed as of 4.0 )
I started with 4.1 in the Upgrade-info.txt

Greetz,

Louis