[Samba] Classic upgrade and forced password change...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jun 22 10:48:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:35:31 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Not if you turn the various complexity rules off, but I cannot
> > understand just what you have against complex passwords.
>
> Absolutely nothing against complex password, i'm a bit worried about
> complex INITIAL password... ;-)

Still don't understand, what is wrong with setting a complex password
if the user will be forced to change it ?

> > You can do this, you just cannot use a simple password unless you
> > turn password complexity off.
> [...]
> > This is down to '--history-length' in the complexity settings
> [...]
> > as root on DC:
> > samba-tool user setpassword user1
>
> OK. To be totally clear: the only way to set 'dumb' password in
> samba/AD, is to disable all password complexity checks (for all users
> of the domain), change the password, and then reenable them.
>
> Right?

Correct, you can either have complex passwords for all users, or you
can have simple passwords for all users. You cannot have complex
passwords for some users and simple passwords for others.

Rowland