[Samba] Classic upgrade and forced password change...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 21 16:56:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:34:21 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Just like Windows you can create a user with a password and then
> > make them change the password when they login, see:
>
> Sure, but initial password still have to complain to complexity rules.

Not if you turn the various complexity rules off, but I cannot
understand just what you have against complex passwords.

> In my 'NT like' samba domains i was (ab)used to set initial password
> the same of the login, forcing the change on next login.
> Also, if users forgot the password, i reset to the login.
>
> I'm a bit ''confused'' about not able to do so now.

You can do this, you just cannot use a simple password unless you turn
password complexity off.

> And i'm a bit confused also because, if complexity rules apply,
> particulary if i set a password history of 5 password, i can set the
> default password to a mild complex one (eg, 'ChangeMe1') but i cannot
> set anymore two times.

This is down to '--history-length' in the complexity settings

> Probably is a dumb question, but... how you reset password for users
> that forgot their?

as root on DC:

samba-tool user setpassword user1
New Password: