[Samba] [4.2.14-Debian] Smbd not listening on 192.168.0.x on cold start

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 18 11:06:07 UTC 2017

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 02:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
Winfried via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Forgot to give the smb.conf:

OK, it looks like you are trying to set up a standalone server with
guest access, I suggest you read this wiki page:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

You do not need most of the parameters you have added to smb.conf, you
most definitely don't need this one:

server services = +smb

This should only be added to a smb.conf on a Samba AD DC and only then
if you had been using the deprecated (and now no longer built by
default) ntvfs code.

You should also investigate why this is happening:

[ ok ] Restarting samba-ad-dc (via systemctl): samba-ad-dc.service.

This is probably being done by the 'samba' init script, but it
shouldn't, it should be that the 'samba' init script starts the 'smbd' &
'nmbd' binaries or 'samba-ad-dc' starts the 'samba' binary. If your
'samba' init script tries to start all the binaries I have mentioned,
I would class this as a bug.

I would not worry about your samba standalone server not listening on
'192.168.0.7' ports 139 & 445. The Unix domain member I am typing this
on doesn't either and I have never noticed any problems.

Rowland