[Samba] question on password server =

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Jun 15 09:28:43 UTC 2017

Hai,

Added some extra comment..

What M-J wrote, is correct, he is quering the "internal.dnsdomain.tld"
Which resolve to ip, with PTR's to A, which is the DC hostname.
If this did not work, then you can not power down you AD DC, and keep everything running.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Verifying_DNS
Imo, wiki should mention if you have multiple DC's run the A record test also for the primary domain.
host -t A samdom.example.com.

> Also, I hope that the domain name 'samba4.domain.com' doesn't
> map to 'merit.uni.edu'
>
> If my reading of this is wrong, then please explain yourself better.
>
> If you really do want Samba to use a specific DC before all
> others, I would do something like this:
>
> password server = DC1, *
I think best is use : password server = *
( so no changes in smb.conf and keep the default )