[Samba] 'winbind use default domain' doesn't appear to work with ntlm_auth

David Herselman dhe at syrex.co
Wed Jun 14 06:58:18 UTC 2017

Hi Rowland,

I did enable NTLMv1 to provide necessary support for pppd for PPTP VPN connections and that's working as expected. I however do not find any release notes pertaining to 'winbind use default domain = yes' no longer working on a Samba DC. The Samba man pages appear to detail options which apply to winbindd (https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/winbindd.8.html), which includes the 'winbind use default domain' option. The only reference to this not working on a Samba DC was a post I stumbled on from a while ago where the claim wasn't substantiated and indicated that none of the winbind options in smb.conf applied.

Everything worked perfectly on 4.4.5, could you point me somewhere where this was discussed and possibly a work around, as it breaks legacy mail processing?

Are the ntlm_auth problems pertaining to the following debug not an issue and as such acceptable?:
[2017/06/12 15:46:21.303848,  1, pid=31947, effective(0, 0), real(0, 0), class=winbind] ../source3/winbindd/winbindd_cm.c:3272(cm_connect_netlogon_transport)
  rpccli_create_netlogon_creds failed for DOMAIN-01, unable to create NETLOGON credentials: NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY

PS: Apologies about the late reply, I only discovered your reply on the samba mailing list archive. It would appear that it takes a while before new subscribers start receiving messages...

Regards
David Herselman