[Samba] recycle on a fileserver domain member

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 13 18:23:27 UTC 2017

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 14:56:33 -0300
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I configured the recycle in my fileserver, but when I logged in with
> normal user and delete some files, folders, etc, the errors occurs.
>
> ./addc-pc-01.log:28251:  recycle: mkdir failed for .recycle with
> error: Permission denied
>
> [global]
>         recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
>
> Do I need to create the .recycle folder on my fileserver? If yes, what
> permissions do I set in the folder?

You seem to be telling Samba to create the recycle bin in '/', which
if your machine is like mine, has permissions like these:

drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 4096 Feb 27 12:49 /

And as you can see, only the root user can write to '/'

So, to answer your question, yes, you will need to create '/.recycle'
and change the permissions so that your users can create their recycle
dir, probably by the group permissions.

Rowland