[Samba] Successful compile / i686 "LARGEFILE64" question (was: Lots of RPC-related compile errors trying to update Samba from 3.5 to 4.6)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 13 09:09:46 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 11:03 +0200, awl1 wrote:
> Hello Andrew, hello Samba experts,
>
> first of all, good news: So I have indeed managed to compile a set co
> cross-compiled binaries and installed them successfully onto my NAS.
> Many thanks for your help in getting there!

> while the output of my freshly cross-compiled version does not have any
> single of them:
>
> $ grep 64 smbd-b_new.txt
>     HAVE_INT64_T
>     HAVE_UINT64_T
>     SIZEOF_INT64_T
>     SIZEOF_UINT64_T
>
> Does this mean that my new version will handle large files (with a
> length of more than fits into 32 bits) inefficiently (or even not at
> all)? Or is this difference in output expected and I simply don't need
> to worry.

Don't read too much into the full set of defines - there has been a
total rewrite of the build system between the versions you indicate.

> Note that in my compile options, I have explicitly used
>
> -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>
> as part of my CCFLAGS, so I am really wondering why those 64-bits
> versions do not show up with 4.6.5 "smbd -b" output...!?

These do not need to be forced, and in general should not be set.  We
set the right things in our waf configure system, and overriding them
is just going to confuse things.

In regard to your particular concerns we no longer use the transitional
read64() etc functions.

Samba is by default and has been 64-bit clean for file access for most
of two decades.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett