[Samba] RPC Server is unavailable

davidgs samba at davidgs.com
Mon Jun 12 13:40:29 UTC 2017

I'm new to samba/AD on Linux, so please go easy on me. I've been trying for a
bit to set this up and am having some success and some not.

I am running Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS and Samba

I am able to successfully have a client PC join the Domain, and then
authenticate/login using credentials from the AD. However, that's about as
far as I can get.

I'm trying to have roaming profiles and home directories but can't seem to
get there. When I try to administer the domain from a Windows 7 PC, I get
"Cannot find a server in the MYDOMAIN domain that is running the Active
Directory Web Server (ADWS)." And I'm stuck there.

My smb.conf:

root at dc1:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
         workgroup = NSSKIN
         security = ads
         realm = NSSKIN.COM
         kerberos method = secrets and keytab
         server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
         interfaces = lo, eno1
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         winbind expand groups = 4
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         idmap config * : range = 2000-49999
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config XYZ : range = 50000-60000
         idmap config XYZ : backend = rid
         template shell = /bin/bash
         template homedir = /home/%U
         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         map acl inherit = yes
         store dos attributes = yes
         load printers = no
         printing = bsd
         printcap name = /dev/null
         disable spoolss = yes
         dns forwarder = 192.168.1.1

[share]
         comment = share
         path = /share
         read only = No
         vfs objects = full_audit
         full_audit:success = connect opendir disconnect unlink mkdir rmdir
open rename
         full_audit:failure = connect opendir disconnect unlink mkdir rmdir
open rename
         full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%M|%S
         full_audit:priority = notice
         full_audit:facility = local5
         acl_xattr:ignore system acls = yes
         force create mode = 0660
         force directory mode = 0660
[netlogon]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/nsskin.com/scripts
	read only = No

[sysvol]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
	read only = No
[profiles]
	path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
	read only = no

[homes]
	valid users = @sambashare, at users
	writeable = yes
	path = /var/lib/samba/home

As I said, I'm not new to Linux/UNIX, but this whole Windows/Active
Directory/Domain Controller stuff is voodoo to me.

TIA<
dg