[Samba] Fedora 25 Samba and XP-SP3

Mike Brown brown at mrvideo.vidiot.com
Mon Jun 12 01:08:26 UTC 2017

Yes, I know, XP-SP3 is very old.  It works for what I need it for.  I have
some programs that will never be updated for Win 7.

Note that XP-SP3 and Fedora 14 work together just fine, so I'm guessing that
a newer version of Samba is what is keeping me from logging in from XP.
But, I do not know what to put in the smb.conf file to allow XP to mount
a share.

Here is the output from testparm:

rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[usenet]"
Processing section "[video]"
Processing section "[website]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
server string = Linux Samba Server
workgroup = VIDIOT
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
security = USER
idmap config * : backend = tdb
cups options = raw
hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = No
read only = No

[usenet]
        comment = Linux usenet area
        path = /WebDisk/share_download/usenet
        read only = No

[video]
        comment = Video Files Workspace
        path = /WebDisk/ftp/pub
        read only = No

[website]
        comment = Web Server HTML Area
        path = /WebDisk/http/htdocs/vidiot
        read only = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /WebDisk/tmp
        guest ok = Yes
        read only = No

When I try and map "W: \\192.168.1.11\website" and use brown as the login
name and my password, it goes off to do its thing and a wee bit later it
comes back with the login GUI.  The only entries in the log file are those
resulting from stopping and starting the smb service with restart (in order
to reread the config file).

Tried it with encryption of the password with yes (default) and no.

Thanks for any tips that might fix this issue.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot at vidiot.com | vidiot at vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
        6082066843 at email.uscc.net (140 char limit)       \ / Ribbon Campaign