[Samba] Samba printserver works for Win10 Pro but not Win10 Home edition

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Jun 11 15:01:54 UTC 2017

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 16:28:41 +0200
Marc Muehlfeld via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Kjetil,
>
> Am 11.06.2017 um 14:56 schrieb Kjetil Fleten via samba:
> > Anyway, the smb.conf file that we copied out from the Ubuntu
> > installation are not read by the new version. Most likely because
> > we have not copied it to the right folder. We have copied it into
> > many locations: /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf, /etc/samba/smb.conf,
> > /usr/share/samba/smb.conf, /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
> >
> > Nothing works :'(
>

> Where Samba expects the file depents on a 'configure' parameter. The
> following command tells you the right path for your build:
>
> # smbd -b | grep CONFIGFILE
>
> To set it at build time, see
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source#Installation_Directories
>

> Alternatively, you can pass the path to the config file to the
> daemons (smbd|nmbd|samba). For example:
>
> # smbd -b /path/to/smb.conf
>

> Regards,
> Marc

You can specify where to put things with the configure options, but if
you put everything into /usr/local/samba (the configure default), then
Samba will not interfere with anything installed elsewhere.
You also get the bonus of the samba wiki paths being the same as yours.

It is also very easy to upgrade in future, a little bit more work, but
just as easy as 'apt-get update'

I wonder if Louis's Debian packages could be installed on Ubuntu ?

Rowland