[Samba] Small heads up for Samba for Debian Jessie (backported only packages)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jun 9 14:16:44 UTC 2017

Hai everybody,

I've started with some updates to publish packages in the apt repo.

I made some major changes in my apt repo due to coming Debian Stetch, but this does NOT affect people currenty using my apt.!!
I made sure for that.

Checkout :  http://apt.van-belle.nl/  for all info.

P.S.
The other are slowly coming.. i'll post when done.

- The Debian Jessie-Backports apt contains only samba and and packages needed for samba.
These packages (jessie-backports) are rebuilds from Debian testing, without any changes.
Use these if want newer packages on Jessie but you dont want to compile yourself for example.

These could be uploaded into jessie-backports itself, i ask for that but Debian does not want this due to the fact that the LTS team is short in time in maintain them.
So, here you go, i made them available, and the "why now", so short before debian Stretch.
If you want to test your jessie 4.2.14 upgrade to 4.5.8-2 before upgrading to Debian Stretch.. now you can..

You now can upgrade your samba first, test,  then Jessie to stretch when released.
Then, when you do that ( upgrade to stretch), just remove my apt .list file before you upgrade om /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
Now your clear to go, updating to stretch, makes you go use the Debian samba packages again.
This is exact the same version, so now worries in upgrade problems.

More to come, but testing this all takes some time.
Please be patient.

Greetz,

Louis