[Samba] Accented letters in shared USB drive (was: Share USB pendrive in ADSL router)

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 11:00:34 UTC 2017

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm new to use of Samba.  I plugged a USB pendrive into router but don't know
> how to mount it.  Please help whoevere can.

Finally I solved it.

First of all, I had to set the USB drive as a `Managed partition' from the
router web GUI.  Secondly, its right address was `//192.168.1.2/Shared' and not
`//192.168.1.1/USB_storage'.  With these corrections, and the following line:

 //192.168.1.2/Shared /mnt/shared cifs rw,user,noauto       0       0

in /etc/fstab, I can now properly mount the USB derive as a normal user simply
with:

 $ mount /mnt/shared

and hitting `Enter' when prompted for password.

Now, the problem is about latin accented characters such as bontà, perché,
ragù, ecc...  in file names on command line.  In my home directory I have many
files such named, but when I want to copy them into the vfat shared USB driver
there are encoding problems: those characters are messing and `Bad file
decriptor' error messages sometimes appear.

...For example, when I copy the ~/università to /mnt/shared, I get:

 universit\ �/

Or, if in /mnt/shared I do: `touch affinché', I get:

 affinch\ �

I've never had this problem before, in my Linux home directory.  Please suggest
whoever can how to face and solve the problem.

Thanks,

Rodolfo