[Samba] smbcacls got error NT_STATUS_NETWORK_NAME_DELETED

Andy Qian andy.qian at intapp.com
Thu Jun 8 16:23:50 UTC 2017

Hi, all,

we run smbcacls tool from linux machine to set file permissions on
windows server.

here is our environment:

Linux machine:  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, kernel version 3.13.0-112-generic

Samba version: 4.3.11

Windows machine: Windows server 2012

the cmd we run is something like following:

/usr/bin/smbcacls -U 'Domain\Administrator'%'pwd'
'//win_server/testshare' 'TestFolder\Test.txt' -S
'REVISION:1','ACL:win_server\Administrator:DENIED/0/0x100116','ACL:win_server\Administrator:ALLOWED/0/0x1200a9','ACL:Domain\Administrator:ALLOWED/16/FULL'

The smbcacls cmd worked before till recently. Due to the recent Windows
patch which disables SMB v1, we have to add the following line into the
[global] section in smb.conf file on Linux machine so that the smbcacls
can talk to the Windows server otherwise it gets error
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET:

client max protocol = SMB3

with this option added, the smbcacls cmd ran into error
NT_STATUS_NETWORK_NAME_DELETED.

but if we just run smbcacls cmd to get ACLs, like

/usr/bin/smbcacls -U 'Domain\Administrator'%'pwd'
'//win_server/testshare' 'TestFolder\Test.txt'

it works without any problem, and does return all ACL entries.

if we remove this "client max protocol == SMB3" option from smb.conf
file and turn on the SMBv1 on Windows server side, the exactly same
smbcacls cmd for setting permission works as before.

I have spent many hours googling and reading documents, but could not
find anything related or helpful. Any suggestion or comment will be
extremely helpful!

Thank you!

Best

Andy