[Samba] Lowest functional level 2000 (4.6.4)

Danny Tipple danny at trials-forum.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 15:38:49 UTC 2017

Ive been battling this some more today.

I setup a win2003 server and used ‘adprep’ from 2008r2 to update the schema to version 47 and all works ok.

Problem is i then can’t replicate that back to the samba server due to lack of proper DNS as far as i can tell. Replication works samba > windows but not the other direction (can anyone provide a list of DNS records that should get added samba side when i add a new domain controller?). I added a few DNS entries manually which i saw were failing then got the following:

"the following error occurred during the attempt to synchronize naming context”
"The remote system is not reachable by the transport”"

Does making the windows server the primary (how do you initialise the DNS server?), retiring the current samba server, then adding a new one back, then retiring the windows box seem like a sensible option?