[Samba] How to update the root hints for bind DLZ

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:14:36 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:56 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:45:11 +1000
> Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > What does the internal dns server do ? where does it get the root
> > > servers from ?
> > >

> > Samba's internal dns server is an authoritative dns server and it's
> > not a recursive resolver.  It will resolve names only for the domains
> > defined in AD database.
> >
> > If you want to use internal dns server as a recursive resolver, then
> > you have to provide a dns server which does actual resolving (samba
> > configuration option "dns forwarder").  Then internal dns server will
> > forward all the queries which it cannot resolve using the domains in
> > the AD database to this dns server.
>
> Bind9 needs forwarders setting as well

No it doesn't. When configured as a recursive resolver, named will resolve
all the queries using the root domain dns servers.

> > > Is there some reason not to use the 'RootDNSServers' zone with
> > > Bind9 ?
> > >

> > Is there some reason why BIND should?  The root dns servers are fairly
> > static.
> >

> It seems strange to have the zone in AD and not use it and I have never
> seen it documented anywhere that it isn't used by either of the DNS
> servers.

I am sure windows dns server uses the root dns servers when working as a
recursive resolver (similar to BIND).

Amitay.