[Samba] How to update the root hints for bind DLZ

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 12:49:30 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 19:35:19 +1000
> Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Samba (including internal dns server and bind-dlz module) has no use
> > for DC=RootDNSServers zone.
> >
> > This zone is created and maintained primarily to interoperate with
> > windows AD servers running DNS service.
> >
> > I don't see any reason why we need tools to manipulate the entries in
> > that zone.  If you are running windows AD server with DNS service,
> > you can update the root hints using windows tools.
> >
> > Amitay.
>
> Sorry, I have just tried this and I cannot update the records on
> windows. Whilst ADSI Edit shows 'DC=h.root-servers.net', it just shows
> 'There are no items to show in this view'. The DNS Manager doesn't show
> the root records.

May be the records are not meant to be modified.  No one should hijack the
name resolution authority and may be that's why MS doesn't allow you to
modify the records.  On most linux distributions, BIND package ships with
the root servers list.

Amitay.