[Samba] 2nd try: Lots of RPC-related compile errors (conflicting types, too many arguments, ...) trying to update Samba from 3.5 to 4.6

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 8 09:57:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 11:28 +0200, awl1 via samba wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> and many thanks for your fast reply! :-)
>
> Am 08.06.2017 um 11:05 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> > I think the key to avoiding the issue is that you have listed rpc
> > modules which are not modules. The only rpc server module is
> > rpc_mdssvc_module.
>
> Ah, OK, I see - so I seem to have been wrong when assuming that I could
> take the output of Samba 3.5.16 "smbd -b" command and use it to feed the
> list of "builtin modules" it returns as the value for
> "--with-static-modules"...
>
> ===
> Builtin modules:
>      pdb_ldap pdb_smbpasswd pdb_tdbsam pdb_wbc_sam rpc_lsarpc rpc_winreg
> rpc_initshutdown rpc_dssetup rpc_wkssvc rpc_svcctl rpc_ntsvcs
> rpc_netlogon rpc_netdfs rpc_srvsvc rpc_spoolss rpc_eventlog rpc_samr
> idmap_ldap idmap_tdb idmap_passdb idmap_nss nss_info_template auth_sam
> auth_unix auth_winbind auth_wbc auth_server auth_domain auth_builtin
> auth_netlogond vfs_default vfs_posixacl
> ===
>
> So is there any documentation available, and/or can you please advise
> how to determine the appropriate values for
>
> --with-static-modules=...
> --with-shared-modules=...

The defaults suit most folks.  Otherwise, take a look at
script/autobuild.py for some tested combinations, including some of the
magic incantations for all and none.

> and possibly other related 4.6.x configure parameters from an old 3.5.x
> installin order to compile a Samba 4.6.5 service with (at least) the
> exact same (or equivalent) capabilities as the original Thecus 3.5.16
> version?

I would focus on these:

 --with Options:
   WITH_ADS
   WITH_AIO
   WITH_CIFSMOUNT
   WITH_PAM
   WITH_PAM_MODULES
   WITH_PROFILE
   WITH_QUOTAS
   WITH_SENDFILE
   WITH_SYSLOG
   WITH_UTMP
   WITH_WINBIND

Of these, AIO is now on by default (no option any more) and the rest
are i think on by default (if found) but you may wish to ensure you
have the right headers for them to build.

The default is now --with-ads-support and it will whine if you don't
have the things that needs.  This, and quotas is the main thing I would
worry about, in terms of user-visible features.

I trust this helps,

Andrew Bartlett