[Samba] How to update the root hints for bind DLZ

Torsten Kurbad samba-technical at tk-webart.de
Tue Jun 6 14:12:11 UTC 2017

Am Tue, 6 Jun 2017 12:23:24 +0100
schrieb Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>:

> On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 13:06:42 +0200
> Marcel de Reuver via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > A quick search on Google gives: http://www.unixfu
> > .ch/how-do-i-update-the-root-hints-data-file-for-bind-named-server/

Yes, that's what I did already. My db.root / db.hints file is up to
date. But that does not solve my problem.

> The OP basically did that manually, but it didn't change the record in
> AD.
> The record is an 'A' record, but 'samba-tool dns update' will not
> change it, because it claims the zone does not exist. The record has
> this DN:
>
> DC=h.root-servers.net,DC=RootDNSServers,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
>
> So the zone seems to be 'RootDNSServers' but this doesn't seem to
> exist :-(

Exactly.

Of course, I could try and change the data using ldbedit, but AD DNS
records are stored in a binary encoded data structure that not only
includes record type and value, but also a serial number, etc.

Thus, such a manual change would be error prone, to say the least.

Perhaps, samba-tool could be enhanced to make changing the root hints
possible? It can handle "normal" DNS records, so I wouldn't expect
non-trivial showstoppers...

Best,
Torsten