[Samba] Samba backup script retention question

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jun 5 13:40:01 UTC 2017

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 08:45:07 -0400
lingpanda101 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      I'm using the 'samba_backup' script with the self compiled
> version. I noticed the retention period not being applied to etc and
> sysvol tar.bz2 files. Looking at the script it appears to only list
> the following at the end
>
> 'find $WHERE -name "samba4_*bz2" -mtime +$DAYS -exec rm  {} \;'
>
> Can I also include the etc and sysvol tars in the command? Any reason
> I shouldn't if I need to restore? Thanks.

There are that many versions of that script floating around, it
is hard to keep up with them ;-)

Provided the script backs up etc and sysvol to file called
'samba4_*bz2' in $WHERE, the retention period should be honoured, i.e.
if the script creates 'samba4_etc.bz2' in $WHERE it should be removed
when the max retention date is reached.

Removed