[Samba] Joining a Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 DC to a Samba AD - Issue - The RPC server is unavailable

Arjit Gupta arjitk.gupta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 11:03:22 UTC 2017

Hi Team,

I have configured and run SAMBA-4.5 AD DC on Itanium HP UX 11iv3.

I tried to join the windows server 2008 DC to samba AD

I have follwed the steps mentioned in the below link

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

While i am trying to execute the steps mentioned in section "Joining the
Windows Server to the Domain"

1. invoked dcpromo.exe

2. select advanced mode installation

3. Select Existing forest

   Add a domain to an existing domain

   Getting the below error ..

   The RPC server is unavailable

   Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard : The wizard cannot
gain access to the list of domains in the forest.

   This condition may be caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information
about troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems,

   please see the following Microsoft Web site:

   The error is:

   The RPC server is unavailable.

   HRESULT = 0x800706BA

Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjit Kumar