[Samba] how to reduce binary size of SAMBA 4 for embeded device

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jul 30 08:17:30 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-07-30 at 15:18 +0800, yuanjp--- via samba wrote:
> Hi Bartlett
>
> as far as I know, lots of soho router still use SAMBA 3
> I think the binary size is the main consideration.
> does Samba team have a plan for --with-tiny-smbd?
> We look forward to it.

Not that I'm aware of.  I had expected interest when I posted my
efforts with link-time-optimisation, but nothing went anywhere.

So from here, I suggest you either dig into the build system (patches
most welcome!), or contract a Samba development shop[1] to look into
this for you.

If you do dig into the build system, look at how the MIT KDC and
without-ad-dc options are implemented, using the enabled flag on each
subsystem.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett
[1] https://www.samba.org/samba/support/globalsupport.html