[Samba] Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

DW LNDeveloper lndevdw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:59:56 UTC 2017

Thanks for the feedback. It does seem to be problematic to recompile the newer code against the older kernel code. I assumed most or all of the kernel APIs used by Samba would have been the same, but hadn't thought about changes to debugging calls. Also, upgrading only the kernel to a new major version without recompiling the myriad packages sitting on top could have similar results.

After sending my original post, I discovered my company had already deployed some CentOS 7 servers in a cloud farm. This makes it much easier to request additional hosts for this project, so it looks like we'll be taking the full upgrade route.