[Samba] [SOLVED] Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jul 28 13:58:42 UTC 2017

Hai Marc,

Agree, is not mainstream to set both these settings but it is recommended to set: Always wait for network

The why:
When a user turns on the computer, the system applies computer policy.
When a user logs on interactively, the system loads the user profile, then applies user policy

Now, if you dont set wait for network,...
I apply a new (user) policy, which should block something, does not matter what.

I login, (network not ready), so cached login, what i did set is not applied (yet).
So we have some time to "hack" the local system.
And same for the computer policy. I also use the setting to make sure the profiles are loaded.

So.. What exact happens. ( after the ICMP client ping to server, detections etc.. )
When this policy is enabled, foreground processing switches from asynchronous to synchronous.
This means that computer and user policy must run to completion before the user gets control of the computer and desktop.
However, it can also be beneficial because it gets around the problem of requiring two,
or more restarts or logons for software installations and folder redirection policy to take effect.

I can recommend the "Always wait for network" setting.
I dont recommend the Detect Slow network.

My set:
In GPO(1), for local network computers: "Always wait for network" Enabled.
In GPO(2), for laptop computers: "Always wait for network" disabled.

Laptops and normal computer have a different GPO set, laptops are configured for cached logins, etc.
Optional, Specify a maximum wait time for GPO scripts also.

Ow and Marc, this is not a samba thing but a windows thing.
So no worries ;-)

Greetz,

Louis