[Samba] [SOLVED] Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:59:39 UTC 2017

On 07/28/17 08:50, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:
> Am 28.07.2017 um 09:36 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
>> Maybe is good to add the slow network fix also on the wiki page (above)
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
>> "SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
>> "WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000
>>
>> Samba 4 AD DC setup's are also adviced to to set this through GPO.
> I read this the first time. In the past I only set this when I had
> problems with roaming profiles over WAN connections.
>
> I think this is not something we should recommend to set in general. I
> mean it's not the default on Windows and seem only to be necessary in
> some cases. If this is required for Samba, we may have a bug.
>

> Does anyone run an NT4 domain using a recent Samba version (4.5 or
> later) on the PDC and can confirm that without these settings Win10
> clients can't log on?
>

> Regards,
> Marc

As a slight tangent-  if you have upgraded from Samba 3.x to 4.x, check
your min and max protocol settings.  Samba 4 adds support for SMB3 but
you may need to set max protocol to SMB2 for Win 10 support.  Win 7
doesn't use SMB3 so won't try to use it even if enabled on the server.
Window 10 and Samba 4 don't seem to negotiate SMB3 properly - at least
with versions I tested. You don't want to upgrade from Samba 3 to 4 and
inadvertently add new variables.