[Samba] samba 4.5.10 and old clients with NTLMv1

Andrew Walker walker.aj325 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:41:09 UTC 2017

In an AD environment, it's better to push out a GPO to force WindowsXP to
use NTLMv2. I believe it's under "Security Settings" -> "Local Security
Policy" -> "Security Options" -> "Network security: LAN Manager
authentication level". Change the value to "Send NTLMv2 response
only\refuse LM and NTLM"

If there's no AD involved, you can manually change the associated Windows
registry entry "LmCompatibilityLevel" to "3". I believe it is under "
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa"