[Samba] [samba] file server, AD client, no rfc2307

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 20:42:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Am I right writing Winbindd needs to have RFC2307 set up in AD to work
correctly when we want to use uidNumber, gidNumber & Co from AD?

When I write "RFC2307 set up in AD" I mean what is described there:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_RFC2307_in_AD#Enabling_RFC2307_in_an_Existing_Active_Directory

I think it's the case, at least before 4.6.x as my tests last days tend to
show that... but I can easily have misinterpreted things.

I ask that because I'm working for a client who don't want to modify its AD
schema (as described in the link before). Fortunately, thanks again to
Rowland who told me that, RFC2307 attributes are already present into AD
schema and so we can define uidNumber and other things with standard AD
(without --with-rfc2307).

So after making lot of test with winbind, after I tried to convince my
client to change its AD schema, I finally set up SSSD as AD client and
tomorrow I'll try to find how make Samba (file server and AD member)
working well with SSSD.

So if I'm wrong thinking winbindd needs AD schema modification to generate
UNIX users with uid and gid taken from uidNumber and gidNumber, I would
really appreciate to know it and how to set it up.

Hoping I was clear enough in my issue's description, I wish you well,

mathias