[Samba] join samba 4.5.12 to samba 4.1.13 failed

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 26 08:14:17 UTC 2017

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:05:40 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai,
>
> I must ask first, did you check the "before and after the update"
> steps, found here https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
>
> Your error looks like and it might have todo with samba 4.1.x and
> ntvfs:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_the_ntvfs_File_Server_Back_End_to_s3fs
>
> Last, if the join keeps failing, upgrade the DC with FSMO roles.
> Change ntvfs to s3fs and the join of DC3.
>
> Thats only what i can suggest, maybe Rowland has a better option but
> these are old bugs your hitting. It might have todo with the ntvfs,
> or can be corrupted DB, or slow network connection, or AD DB size.
> (total number of object) And that in combination with samba 4.1.
> upgrade to 4.5 is a big step.
>
> The config shown looks ok, so i dont think is a config/setup error.

What I cannot understand is why the OP is still using Centos 6 and why
did they compile an EOL version of Samba initially ?

The configs shown have nothing wrong with them, but the one we need to
see, smb.conf, isn't provided, this may help in deciding the next step.

I think what Louis is suggesting is probably the way to go, upgrade
Samba on the original DC, but only after showing us the smb.conf.

He should also consider moving to Centos 7 as well.

Rowland