[Samba] DNS Log level

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 26 05:01:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 08:36 +0400, Mike Lykov via samba wrote:
> 26.07.2017 4:59, John Schmerold via samba пишет:
>
> > > What log are you referring to ?
>
> Samba log, it fills with unnecessary lines
> [2017/07/26 06:25:20.384263,  2]
> ../source4/dns_server/dns_query.c:629(dns_server_process_query_send)
>    Not authoritative for 'cn.pool.ntp.org', forwarding
>
> without requester ip it useless megabytes/day ..
>
> > The log file is /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >
> > It is filling up with useless (to me at this point in time) dns
> > resolution information.
>
> I'm interested to not logging it too.
>
> some googling show strange solution - use rsyslog and filter out
> this
> lines before saving/sending to syslog server:
>
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2016-April/199367.html
>
> But having ability to set DNS log level same as other
> (passdb,auth,winbind,...) will be better!

Sadly the source4 code used for most of the AD DC doesn't have the
debug classes implemented.  Patches are welcome, there isn't any
technical reason why they can't, and likewise debug levels can be
corrected, this should be about a 5 or more, it is normal traffic.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/