[Samba] Access to sharing by hostname but not by its IP

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jul 25 11:36:43 UTC 2017

If the Kerberos protocol is not negotiated for some reason, Active Directory uses LM, NTLM, or NTLM version 2 (NTLMv2).
some reason =  \\ip\share )  and if you hostname (+search domain) and hostname.domain.tld and PTR resolving does not work correct,
yes, then you have this problem .

And in this case, windows fals back to NTLM and then you accessing the server as user guest.
You can try the GPo setting :
Network security: LAN Manager Authentication Level setting to Send NTLMv2 responses only.

But this was already in the links i did send you.

But i suggest you fix you dns resolving.

I can say.

\\ip
\\ip\share
\\servername
\\servername\share
\\servername.fqdn\
\\servername.fqdn\share

These all work for me. ( samba 4.5.x and samba 4.6.x on all DC and members )