[Samba] DCs are trying to replicate data from a domain member and fail

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 25 10:24:38 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-07-25 at 11:08 +0300, Mitocariu Emilian via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a domain member (FS1) that i use as a file server and has one share.
> When i run command "samba-tool drs showrepl" on any DC i see that it tries
> to replicate data from FS1 but it fails. From what i know DCs should
> replicate data only from other DCs in the same domain, not from domain
> members (if i'm wrong correct me).
>
> Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen? And more
> importantly, if i'm correct and DCs should not replicate data from domain
> members, how can i remove FS1 as a replication target?

Did you join the domain using 'samba-tool domain join dc'?  Even if you
subsequently configured correctly as a domain member, that would have
set up your file server as a DC in the mind of the rest of the domain.

If so, remove it using 'samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-
server'

Andrew Bartlett