[Samba] Authentication method not the same between IP or DNS access

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jul 25 10:02:02 UTC 2017

Hai Benjamin,

This is clearly a setup problem but without the smb.conf, resolv.conf, hosts file is hard to see whats wrong.
But i'll give it a try.

Great, this means you uid/gid setup is correct.
( double check : id usersname && getent passwd username  )

> The samba share works fine too from Windows 7 only if I try to access
> it by specifying the AD hostname. Let me explains.
> - The server has an IP address
> - The short hostname configured in Linux is "myserver"
> - My realm is "MYDOMAIN.local"
> - The server has a hostname visible in the AD :
> "myserver.mydomain.local"
> - The server has a static hostname defined manually on the AD : "
> myserver.mydomain.com"
If you have 1 ipnumer but you use multiple hostnames, remove the static hostname And create a CNAME to the original hostname, this make sure A/PTR resolving is correct.

If you server has 2 ipnumers, then that should be ok, if dns is correctly setup.
But you should configure krb5.conf to make you .mydomain.com known within your REALM.

> I can ping everything correctly : by ip, with
> "myserver.mydomain.local" and with "myserver.mydomain.com"
>
> From Windows 7 :
> - I'm able to access the share if I try to connect to the server using
> "myserver.mydomain.local"
> - I'm unable to access the share if I try to connect to the server
> using " myserver.mydomain.com"
Try also the complete path: \\server\share

> - I'm unable to access the share if I try to connect to the server
> using the IP address
Try also the complete path: \\ip\share

> In the last 2 cases, a window asking for credentials pops-up.
> Even if I enter correct credentials, the logon is a failure.

Read this to get the understanding why this happens.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-security/security-policy-settings/network-security-lan-manager-authentication-level
And
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3181029/smb-file-server-share-access-is-unsuccessful-through-dns-cname-alias