[Samba] no results from getent

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 20:21:02 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Cybulski, Adam M via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> I added
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes

I was having some issues with getent as well. No problems with wbinfo
as it showed all users and groups but getent did not show domain users
and groups unless the smb.conf contained:
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
Problem was consistent with both a PDC and an AD.

I think it might have something to do with my choice of backend. I
choose idmap_rid due to the fact that the uid/gid's would remain
consistent for multiple file servers (maybe there's a better choice).

Both typical tests for getent:
getent passwd myusername
getent group "Domain Users"
 simply failed to work with the enumeration enabled.

Oddly enough files created by the users appeared just fine - properly
identified by user and group.

Then I discovered by prepending the domain to the getent requests
there was success:
getent passwd MYDOMAIN\\myusername
getent group MYDOMAIN\\"Domain Users"

Not sure whether or not it's a bug or intended behavior. And it's not
clear that this should for whatever reason be self-explanatory (if so,
it wasn't).


More information about the samba mailing list