[Samba] no results from getent

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 24 19:35:14 UTC 2017

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:14:53 +0000
"Cybulski, Adam M via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> A new week, and a new problem it seems. I started everything from
> scratch, as I was unable to get AD logins and Samba File sharing
> working at the same time. My plan was to set up SAMBA without SSSD
> being installed, get it working, and then sort out login
> authentications second.
>
> This time, following the wiki and your previous advice, everything
> seemed to go fine and even the net rpc rights grant commands went
> through. However, Getent returns no results, and if I try to chown a
> folder with an AD account, it cannot find the account.
>
> I added
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes
> To smb.conf

All that does is make 'getent passwd' work and display all AD users.
You should only use the lines on a test machine and never in production.
Normally (without the lines) 'getnet passwd username' should display
the users info.

> I tried the commands on the libnss winbind links page, but received
> an error saying the file exists.
>
> Any Ideas what I've done wrong this time?

Not a clue, but then I am not sat in front of your computer screen.

Just refresh my memory, what OS are you running ?

Rowland