[Samba] any reliable way to discover Windows hostname over SMB2+?

Jason Haar jason_haar at trimble.com
Sun Jul 23 20:51:59 UTC 2017

Whoops - didn't see your reply until now :-/

Yes. In infosec a lot of "interesting events" begin with just knowing an IP
address. So you need to somehow discover the hostname and  OS before you
can check if you even have credentials you could use to properly
interrogate the system. And with lateral movement being the security
nightmare it is, arbitrarily throwing (local admin) credentials at every
box you come across without contemplating the possible consequences is
simply risky. So with SMB1 systems, smbclient-v3 could tell you the
hostname and domain without using creds. But with smbclient-v4, we cannot
get that debugging detail any more. (I now realise this isn't a SMB2
problem - it's smbclient-v4 itself)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar