[Samba] check accounts for known bad passwords

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Jul 21 07:32:15 UTC 2017

Hai M-J,

Bit off topic for samba, but handy to know.
ah, yes, did not know that site, handy also.

I use iptables ipset geoip fail2ban and ufw combined.
Bit of these combined.
http://blog.jeshurun.ca/technology/block-countries-ubuntu-iptables-xtables-geoip
https://www.dghost.com/techno/internet/banning-an-entire-country-with-iptablesipset
https://tipstricks.itmatrix.eu/blocking-all-traffic-from-individual-countries-using-ipset-and-iptables/

My setup is as followed,

Ufw and geoip for country blocking and regular rules.
For example, Port 25/80/443 open for the world, all other are restricted to countries, (Where possible.)

Fail2ban monitor a service logs, abuse, > 1 day block. ( use ipset here )
Why 1 day, spammers often return within a day, so if they do that they exend the block a day.
The use of ipset, i do that here, because of the ammount of blocks i have.
Normaly, about 1500 ips are blocked daily, and its better to have this in ipset that iptables.
Its faster in the hash tables and can handle up to about 65k rules.

I do this for example on my mail relay/antispam.
Cpu load dropped about 20%, spam mail getting through dropped about 80%.
from 10k mails through the antispam back to about 1.5k.
Also due the good use of postfix/postscreen.

If you need more tips, you can pm me ;-)

Greetz,

Louis