[Samba] [samba] Winbindd without RFC2307 question

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 20 10:49:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 12:04:57 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Why match the uid/gid, if you do that, you will have to do that on
> every member.

To do this, you will have to use the 'ad' backend and RFC2307
attributes

> Since no member is the same with uid/gid when you use
> RID.

Not entirely true ;-)
If you use exactly the same [global] portion of smb.conf on every Unix
machine, you will get the same UIDs & GIDs (note, you do not need to
have a 'netbios name' parameter in smb.conf)

> I would suggest you make a script based on username/group
> This way you can use it on any server.

You could always tell us what you have at the moment and we can advise
from there, posting your existing smb.conf is bound to help ;-)

Rowland