[Samba] Samba 3 File Server joining Samba 4 PDC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 18 12:12:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:22:33 +0000
Paul Littlefield via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 18/07/17 12:00, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > If you mean an AD DC, then I don't think it will work.
> > If you mean an NT-4 style PDC, then you may get it to work.
>
> It's an AD DC, and my plan was to...

Then please stop calling it a PDC, it isn't, it is a DC

> 1. edit FILE_SERVER smb.conf and change
> security = domain
> workgroup = SAME_AS_PDC
>
> 2. net rpc join -S DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password

Things have changed a lot since 3.0.x, it might be easier to use nlscd
on the fileserver, or kerberos.
A quick search on the internet turned this up:

https://www.howtoforge.com/samba_ads_security_mode

This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway you can update
the 3.0.36 Samba ?

I would also suggest updating the DC as well.

Rowland